Pond Fork Baptist Church began quite simply, with a group of citizens from the local community who had a burden to offer worship services for folks in the surrounding area. They first began services in a building located on Pennington Farm on Old State Road in Pendergrass, Ga. Shortly thereafter, this small group of people obtained permission to use an old school building then standing at our current location on 2615 Pond Fork Church Road, Pendergrass, Ga. The church was organized and constituted in 1926. This was back when times were simple. Education was not prevalent, and words were spelled as they sounded. For instance, “association” was spelled in the church minutes as “soshashun”. But people enjoyed life, enjoyed each other, and enjoyed serving God. This was a birth; the birth of a church as well as its subsequent growth throughout the years… from the purchase of the property to the construction of the building which we now occupy. With 30 charter members on roll, and the Rev. G.D. Perdue as pastor, Pond Fork Baptist Church began to take its first steps.
It wasn’t until June 1927 that the first pulpit committee was commissioned. As strange as it may seem, this committee was “not” formed for the purpose of finding a pastor, but to actually build a pulpit. Of course, purchasing the property was never far from the minds and hearts of this people. Ownership of the original two acres was recorded on July 10, 1936 in the Jackson County, Ga. deed book. Early church minutes indicate that the church offered $150.00 for the property. From there, Pond Fork became a booming, thriving Christ honoring church. Each pastor and member has had an important part in what Pond Fork has become today… from the one-room schoolhouse, to restructuring that schoolhouse into a church, the building of the first new sanctuary in 1985 until the completion of the current sanctuary in 2003 standing on approximately 53 acres of land. AND GOD CONTINUES TO BLESS!
We appreciate everything the former pastors have done to help get Pond Fork to where it is today, including Bros. Garland Pardue, Preston Cash, R.W. Justice, Truman Gee, O’Dean McNeal, T.L. Christian, Clay Campbell, Howell Smallwood, Alvin Fowler, Marlon Thomas, Robert Bennett, Elmo Cochran, Howell Stover, M.A. Poole, and Bro. Johnny Knight who has served as pastor for the past 39 years. Although each person has made its mark on our church, We give God all the honor and glory for everything that has been accomplished at Pond Fork Baptist Church and has brought it to where it is today. Without Him, we are nothing.